Monday, January 13, 2014

Bathroom Reno: Part I - Demolition

Part One. Hunker down folks. Long post coming....

Well all that matters is that we aren't done. But at least some decisions have been made! We are getting there. Slowly. But getting there! We just removed the toilet yesterday! Whoop for progress!! Nothing says "FUN" like a renovation project with no toilet. Good thing we have leaves


So a while back, I posted this on Facebook:



I compiled images from Pinterest that were similar to the look I'm going for in the bathroom. I needed to know what color knobs for the cabinet. Granted, nothing else had actually been chosen. Knobs were the obvious first decision (Said no home renovator ever!)


The overwhelming majority said the same thing. "I like the clear", "The white will get dirty", "The green is unique", and "The green clear is different". So I went with the obvious choice.

None of these!



























Instead, I got these from Amazon for like $11 for a set of 10!! Whoop! Such a good deal I got 2 sets. The others were about $2-3 a piece. No, they aren't that cute green color. BUT. I think they'll look amazing. The only thing I'm worried about is the fake-ish chrome finish and all of the fixtures are bronze. So I may try to spray paint them. Thoughts??


Ok so then, a few weeks later I posted this:
































I needed tile help. We already had the floor tile chosen. We found an amazing deal at Lowes for some 18"x18" tiles in a nice neutral color that would tie in the hallway hardwoods and the gray cabinet I want in the bathroom. They also work nicely for the kitchen. Win-Win! (I'll update with a post to the tile once I find it!)

So my question was, we knew we wanted the White Subway Tile for the bath surround, we wanted a farmhouse feel, I wanted something light and airy.... so what tile for the inset in the shower?


Vast majority said the White Penny Tile. So that's what we went with. I ordered it from Overstock.com. No issues whatsoever. I love them. Can't wait to install them.



























So now that the tile is out of the way, if you can remember, here is what we started with:





















































Lots of pink. Lots of gross. Lots of demolition.

Wanna see a weird pano shot? Hi!





















See those walls? They had that pink glue-on tile. Ripped the sheetrock to pieces. So we tried to decide...do we replace the sheetrock, put up a cool pallet wood wall, wainscoting all around the room?? But then I saw a really cool idea on another blog that I read for a white-washed brick wall.


So first things first, it is getting covered with this:





















Ugly right? Well I have big plans for that faux brick. (I always feel fancy when I say faux!)

White-washed Faux Brick Project to come in Part II


But let's talk about brick while we're at it. See all that brick on the wall in the tub? And even in the picture above? It's hideous. Everyone keeps telling me to leave it, that "it's brick and don't you watch Nicole? Nicole Curtis says that 'why in the *bleep* would you cover that up?!" Pardon the bleeped out wordy-durd. But um, I'm pretty sure  when Nicole is talking about finding the really amazing, old vintage, chipped brick....she doesn't mean this stuff. This orange, obnoxiously long, perfectly-good brick. It ain't purdy folks. It's 1970's maybe? There's nothing vintage or retro about it other than the fact that it is in an old farmhouse. No charm. No connection. I can do this. I can paint the brick.

Anyway, the brick in the tub is getting covered regardless of my fear that one day I'll regret painting brick. I'm still working on hubby about painting the living room & back bathroom brick anyway. And yes, even the faux brick is getting painted or white-washed.

But moving on....


We tore out the sink and countertop. Tore out the mirror (planning to salvage it with a fancy rustic wood frame). Tore out the really amazingly bright side mirror lights. I loved the light. They reminded me of when I was little and I'd climb on the counter and sit for hours and scrub my pores and brush my teeth and do my hair and makeup. Nostalgic. I really didn't want to get rid of them, but face it, they are ugly and could land a spacecraft they are so bright.





















Bye bye sink! (The old sink will probably get used somewhere else. I love the shape! See above.)





























Oh, there's me! Hey! Wearing my fave purple hoodie. I obviously didn't come to actually DO any work that day....Just take pictures!


























Another pano shot to show the exposed walls on the left. Cool little built-in going in there and wainscoting on that side. With maybe a few towel hooks! You know, like all the cool kids on Pinterest are doing it!


















So that's where we are (were?)....
Part II to come... Painting the cabinet, Installing lights & Hanging faux brick.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...