Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kitchen Curtains

So because we aren't even close to being done with the kitchen, I figure now is the perfect time to pick out curtain fabric!! You know, before you actually paint the cabinets and verify the shade of gray. And before you actually build the barnwood base cabinets to be sure the rustic and retro goes well together.

Curtains first.

Priorities people!

It all started on Pinterest when I found these super cute, but country, crisp and clean cafe curtains with pom poms. This project will be super easy peasy. I know for sure this is the style I want. Sometime airy that will still allow in light and the cute little pom pom trim to just add some extra oomph.

But first....Let me just go ahead and air some of my stubborn personality traits. Ones like.....
  • I'm OCD when it comes to a sticky note list...I must rewrite it if I check something off.
  • But I couldn't care less about the pile of clutter on my dishwasher.
  • I'm very particular about where every single item is on my desk at work, and when the cleaning people come in and move things....argh! Drives me batty.
  • But I always, ALWAYS, to my sweet loving husband's demise, leave my clothing tags laying wherever they got pulled off. Sorry babe!

And last but not least, because I only have a few weird, stubborn personality traits..... ;)

  • I am such a plain jane. I am tragically scared of patterns and prints and bold colors. I would wear black or gray or white every.single.day of my life if it weren't for the fact that, well, it's boring and that sweet husband gives me a hard time about it. And everyone always buys me pinks and purples when they buy me clothes! 

This fear of color and patterns really is quite the setback to decorating, or making crafts. I used to not be able to stand mixing playdoh together either. But well, four kids later and I'm sort of over that crazy notion!

When we moved into our house about ten years ago, my husband was dead-set on painting every single wall in the house a different color. Every room anyway. And it happened. Magician's Cloak Purple in the front bedroom, some Army shade of green in the Master Bedroom, Country Wine in the Dining Room, Granny Smith Apple Green in the Kitchen, Electric blue in the kids' room, Orangey-orange-orange-orange in the Bathroom. I mean color threw up in this place!

And I HATE it.

So I've gradually worked in some light gray and tan. Oh yeah.

All that to say, while I do love color, I have a hard time committing to it because I'm so afraid I'll hate it a week later. Or that I'll find something better. So not only is it a bold-color-phobia, it's a commitment phobia too. I'll have 17 fabrics in my shopping cart and put everything back but the black and white chevron.

So back to the curtains. I've scoured. I even raided my mom's quilting fabric stash, which is quite impressive! I found a really nice print that I liked - for free. Had a nice limey-greenish-yellow and aqua print of flowers. Nothing too crazy, simple enough.

Took it to the house. Hated it. It looked very 70's pea green with all the light flooding through the windows. So. Back to square one.

Scoured the internet some more. And finally narrowed it down to a few options. Some surprisingly bold, others very typical. Of the twenty tabs open on my computer, I got it down to my favorite six.

Here were my narrowed down choices:


Surprisingly enough, I got these even further narrowed down to TWO!!!!

So I took those two favorites swatches and sent them to my mom along with a fancy schmancy photoshop job of them on a window.

Option One:


On the window -

Option Two:


On the window -


And here's her comment...


LOVE them both.. how did you do that?  cool! (cause I'm cool mom. you know this. you made me.)

The first one has that clean, simple look (bingo)...
the second looks like an older home to me (cha-ching!!)... and I like that...

I wonder if the print will look that large on the panel... that may make a difference... I see you as the first one (whodathunkit?)... the second is a step out for you (ya reckon?)... but both will be gorgeous... and it's the kitchen.. you want a cheerful look....Accent with some yellow and coral?  PRETTYYYYY...


Ha! See?! They know me so well. But honestly she didn't make a decision either. Just confirmed where I get my wishy washy-ness from!

Wanna know something funny though? I really, I mean REALLY, LOVE the second one. With a name like Garden Rocket, who wouldn't? It adds so much fun. I could even match my red Kitchenaid mixer and my lime green colanders. Oh, don't gasp. I didn't buy the mixer, my hubby did...and the colanders were for someone else but I ended up keeping them because I got a different gift for this person. *eyeroll*

And did even you notice the cute little pom poms I added to the window treatments above?


Whatever I choose...better believe they will be trimmed with the pom poms. They're white. That was an easy choice.

So what do you think? I think I'm going to go with the Rocket Garden Turquoise. Afterall, I am wearing hot pink today! 



(PS. Please don't tell me you love one of the other fabrics more. That will really set things into a tizz!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...