Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What do Roofing and Box Cutters have in common?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

They do not go together.

Not without gloves. Protective eye-wear. And chainmail!

The project started out innocent enough. Just needed to roof the small area of what was the front porch (I'm assuming), now sunroom/bedroom/front-whatever-you-call-it room!




That's about as close as I could get to the edge. I'm deathly afraid of heights. I'm surprised I could even get through the window and muster up the courage to step onto the rough. But I had my big girl undies on and did it! Go me. ::shivers::

On the other hand, my big boy is just slaving away acting like he doesn't have a care in the world that he could seriously slip at any given moment and roll right off that stinkin' roof. No joke. It's not funny either. The heart palpitations, sweaty hands and numb feet are enough to send me into a state of shock. Much less seeing my first-born just feet away from death. Or at least broken limbs. ::shivers::





Well in the meantime, the girls and little bitty feller went downstairs and worked on taking pallets apart. We could only entertain the little guy with suckers for so long before he wanted to go "help". Yeah mommy can't handle that. You never know when a mighty wind might hit and blow you right off that daggum roof. Not to mention the fact that it is clearly obvious that men cannot be trusted alone with kids and sharp objects. ........


.......Because this happens........

I hear "AMMMAAAANNNNDDDAAA.....Get up here right now!"

Sigh. I was secretly panicking but holding it in as I trudged up the steps. I got up there and my husband is lying on the floor. He had basically fell through the window trying to get inside to avoid passing out on the roof.

This is why I say roofing and box cutters do NOT go well together.

He's gripping his hand, feet up on the windowsill....I know it isn't good but I stifle my giggle because here's my manly husband, white as a sheet, I know he's about to pass out. So I quietly ask him "You ok? What happened?"

He was cutting the shingles, which, I mean, you have to do. I understand that. But his knee-pads had shifted and he slipped and cut right into the fatty part of the base of his thumb. I take a peek. Gross. It was deep and I was afraid he had hit a tendon or nerve. So my reaction of course is "Do I need to call an ambulance"? You know, because he can't drive now. He had to bring me back to reality "Um, no, you can drive me...just get me something to stop the bleeding". Duh. I didn't realize I was a little panicky until then so that brought me back to reality. I went on the manhunt for something to "stop the bleeding" and all I could find was a diaper. Because you know, who keeps a first-aid kit at a remodel site?!?! (NOTE: First purchase of a remodeling job...a First-Aid Kit. You WILL need it!)

Anyway, long drive to the Urgent Care later, we get there, they see him quickly. He gets about 4-5 stitches and we are good to go. Bless his heart. He hates blood. Hates needles. But he's my hero!!




He looks like he's dying. I assure you he's ok. This might be blackmail one day!


And I post these pictures because I love him so dearly and he really looks good in blue!! ;)

Stitches always bring you closer together! ;) (pun-intended!)

So there you go folks. Wear gloves when roofing. Don't use box-cutters without ample supervision. Because clearly this wouldn't have happened if I would've stayed on the roof with him. Clearly.

But the leaks are gone.
The roof is nice and purdy now.
And my son is all-the-more-brave now because of this little project.
...and I now also know how to roof although I never plan to ever use those skills ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...