Monday, April 21, 2014

DIY Homemade Chalk Paint Part:1

There's a little well known fact about me....I'm cheap.
And I'm a hoarder. 

So after the past few weeks of moving...and moving....and moving more junk.... I had it in my head that I was for sure going to sell or donate to Goodwill, most of the big bulky furniture from our old house. It was outdated. It was u-g-l-y. It was way too heavy and frankly, I didn't want to mess with it.

So I posted the furniture, bless it's heart, on Facebook for sale for what I thought was a great bargain. $200 for an entire dining room set. Someone would snatch that right up...money in my pocket...win-win!!

Too bad my friend guilt-tripped me into keeping the blasted furniture. I huffed and puffed because for ONCE I had actually parted with something!! I was on my way to dehoarding. Or so I thought!

After telling my hubby that we were keeping the furniture after-all...we loaded up the junk and brought it over to the new house. I may have sighed. Really. It was ugly. And big. And it had the worst little seashell-meet-80's-fan look on the front of it.

But. I held out hope. There's this huge Pinterest fad going around about Chalk Paint. Ever heard of it? It's everywhere. Everyone is doing it. It supposedly will make any piece of furniture look amazing, no matter the existing finish.

http://www.pinterest.com/amandaeller/

However, there's no way I'm paying $30 for a quart of paint. Ever. Remember I'm cheap. Not to be confused with cheap date, although that's true too because I'd totally settle for a CookOut milkshake and TacoBell beef meximelt. Yummmm!


Food always distracts me!! Especially when I have a belly the size of Uncle Bob, the family boozer!

Back to chalk paint.....as I've mentioned before, I am a color-phobe. I'm scared to death of choosing, wait, COMMITTING, to color and with a $30 price tag, I'm even more scared!!

I love the teal, yellow, coral, even the hot pink. Especially the green though. It's probably my favorite, oddly enough!

Well Wednesday was D-day for getting all of the rest of the junk from the house so that the new renters can move in. First we had to make a trip to Lowe's to haggle on a stove (that we got at an AWESOME price!! whoop whoop!!). So while they were negotiating and talking appliances, I mosied on over to the paint center. There's one good thing about shopping with your husband, father-in-law and hubby's uncle......I had to hurry. There was no hem-hawing allowed in the paint department. I had to choose and be done.

And I did.
I did it!
I chose a paint color.

And not only one paint color but three!!! (with a little help)

And I also scored BIG TIME!!! I totally should've checked the reject pile first but as it was, I got almost a whole gallon of hot pink that was the exact shade of the quart I had the sweet lady mix for me. If it was not exact, it was pretty doggone close! Plus there were several $1 jars begging for me to add them to my collection of crafting supplies.


I swear I'm getting to the good stuff......

I chose a lovely shade of yellow to overhaul this hideous dresser of mine. Actually, I admit, hubby chose it. What's up with that?! And he actually wasn't rushing me either....he was helpful! He loves color after all! 

We went with "Field of Daisies" in Valspar Low-Odor, Zero VOC. This stuff literally has no smell at all. It's great! And I always say "Gimme the cheapest stuff you've got". I know the people always do an internal eyeroll but whatever. I'm cheap!! I know though that this isn't the cheapest paint, but it is Valspar brand and she probably saw the monstrous belly and saved my kid from growing another arm.

Here's the rundown. Gotta love www.mylowes.com, you can track all of your purchases. Believe me, this comes in handy when you run out of paint, throw the bucket away and realize you need to touch-up and have NO clue what color it was that you bought. Trust me.


Bright yellow. A good bit brighter than the colors I had picked out. But, I wanted hubby involved and because he really has had no say-so in most of the interior choices and there's LOTS of white....so I "let" him choose. And honestly, he did a great job. I love the color.

Here's a little sneak peek:



Part 2 to come with instructions!!!! This post is long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...