Monday, April 21, 2014

DIY Chalk Paint Part:2

That other post went a totally different direction than I had planned....sorry 'bout that!

So here's really where you want to be to learn how to paint with "chalk paint" and DIY some of that old ugly furniture you've been hanging onto!



There's a million blog posts out there with DIY Chalk Paint instructions. Basically....

You get a bag of DAP Plaster of Paris. I went with a 25 lb bag.... Go big or go home!

Then you'll need a few brushes. I went with the cheaper ones because I wasn't quite sure how they'd wash up. Project Source 3" Synthetic Brush. I personally like the 3" (we also got a 2" as well but I like the wider one for this).

Then the only other things you need are your paint and some tap water.
Simple enough.

Again, here's the paint we chose. Valspar Low Odor, Zero VOC in Field of Daisies.


Now that you know the supplies you need...onto the HOW part!! The fun stuff!

DIY Chalk Paint Mixture:
1/3 cup Water
1/3 cup Plaster of Paris (PoP)
1 cup Paint (flat)

Items you'll Need:
Plaster of Paris (PoP)
Water
Flat Paint
Paste Finishing Wax
Stir Stick
Bucket to mix ingredients
Paint Brush
Drill or Screwdriver

To start, remove all hardware from your piece of furniture and lay it out for spray painting.


I used Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze. This stuff is my fave!! It covers so well and gives a nice flat-ish finish with a shimmer. It sprays so easily and evenly.

You think those clod-hopper handles would never look amazing no matter what color you paint them? Well trust me, paint them before replacing. You'll be pleasantly surprised how a little spray paint can go a LONG way in totally transforming some ugly old brass handles!



Do this step first. That way, you can get in a second coat of spray paint and hit spots you somehow missed the first go-round. And.....so that you can get everything put back together once the last coat of paint dries on the furniture. You'll want to get your piece back together ASAP to see your hard work!!

Now for the paint, and why we're all here....

Basically, you mix equal parts water and Plaster of Paris. I am always mixing up way more than I need because who wants to only get a cup of whatever-it-may-be mixed up only to find out you needed like five?! So I mixed 2/3 cups water, 2/3 cups PoP and then 2 cups of paint.


HOWEVER....I didn't actually put 2 cups of paint. I only added one somehow and my mixture was watery and didn't cover extremely well the first two coats. Whoops!

HOWEVER-EVER....It still worked! It covered, albeit streaky.




As you can see, the paint went on pretty watery. I gave all of the drawer fronts and the base itself a good coat, then I went back and added a little paint to my mixture once I realized I had only added 1/2 of the called-for amount.

This really is one of those projects that the kids can actually help! Yay for not having to say no! My youngest was sleeping, shew! But L-man got to help out. I was a little paranoid that his major streaks and drips would show, but in the end, it worked out great and it covers nicely. I like the imperfections myself. And I REALLY just like the help!!

Here is after two coats. So you can see, still some streaks, still some dark showing through. But it helped me to see a "distressed" look and I was diggin' that!

This is when I began to really love the 80's touch on this dresser. The fan was actually adding some character. I love character!

I actually gave the base of the dresser only two coats because it had more paint added to it. 



So once I added a third coat to the cabinet door and drawer fronts and let them dry, I went back with a 220 grit piece of sandpaper and just scrubbed in spots - some places a little more than others to give it a nice distressed look. (You can see that the above photos had already been distressed) The distressed look really fits our house. Distressed = Good. Because then when it gets banged and scratched, it looks like it is meant to be there!




Swoon! I love it already!! And here's why I say to spray paint the handles first!! I was ready to assemble and see the masterpiece!

But first, all of the posts I researched said to add a layer of Paste Finishing Wax for a protective finish. It also gives it just a bit of shine and brings the color out just a tad. It gets a little "chalky" - hence the name....duh! But the paste wax with give it just a bit of sheen that is nice.

I took an old washcloth and just rubbed it into the wood and voila. Easy stuff. I suppose I did it correctly?! This stuff smells pretty strong so I recommend doing it outside or wearing a mask.


I let it dry for, oh, about fifteen minutes. It says to let it dry longer but that was good enough for me and my impatient self!

We reassembled the dresser handles, hinges and drawers and moved it on into the living room for it's new home.

 I'm in LOVE!!! Luuuurve!!!! The yellow just makes me happy!

Ain't she purdy?! I'm so proud. And she holds all of our DVD's and Wii games & equipment perfectly!

This was a fairly quick and easy, Sunday afternoon project that turned out way easier than I expected. It isn't perfect. But it works. And it is DONE! Whoop!! Now....to just finish that pallet wall!!!!!

 So again....


We opted out of the top mirror piece for obvious reasons but I do think it would've looked pretty cool in a bedroom setting.

Not using the top piece will allow us to hang the flat screen TV above on the wall...just is case it isn't obvious to you why we didn't use it. Ha!

Can't wait to see this whole room come together!
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...